Easy Caramelized Onion Quiche
If you follow me on instagram (@ketocheflexi), you may have seen me post this quiche. It's a great recipe, and I wanted it to be here on my site. It's easy, and just fancy enough to impress guests. Next time you do brunch, whip up one (or two) of these! the crust is perfectly buttery and flaky. Serve these to your non-keto friends and they won't even miss the flour.
2 medium onions
1 1/2 sticks of butter, cold (dice the whole stick and place in the fridge until ready to use)
3 cloves garlic
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 c coconut flour
1/4 c almonf flour
1 egg yolk (keep seperate from the rest of the eggs)
6 whole eggs
1/2 c heavy cream
1/4 oz cheddar
2 oz mozarella
2 oz parmesan
Salt and pepper as needed
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small saucepan on medium low heat, add 1/2 stick butter, garlic, thyme, and onions. Stir frequently until golden (not browned or blackened) for 15-20 minutes. When finished, set aside.
2) While onions are cooking, make the crust. In a large bowl add flours, diced cold butter, and a pinch of salt. Use a pastry blender or fork to combine ingredients, then add egg yolk and mix until dough forms. Wrap dough in parchment and place in the freezer until the next step.
3) In another large bowl beat eggs, cream, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
4). Shred the cheeses, set aside.
5) Take dough out of freezer and spread evenly into a tart or pie pan. Prick holes in the base of the crust and bake WITHOUT FILLING for 15 minutes.
6) Take crust out of the oven and spread onions evenly, then add egg mixture, then top with cheeses. Place in oven and bake until eggs are set, and top is golden. About 25 minutes.
Attempt to let it cool before devouring, I don't. Pictures below if you are a visiual learner :)